This soup is quite watery as it is very low in cream content. This suits the likes of me as too much cream upsets my digestion unfortunately. The mushrooms aren’t required to be pulverised either, so the end product is quite thin. Definitely something to serve with crusty bread or with cooked orzo/risoni stirred through to bulk it up as a meal. I served mine with some grilled cheese on toast.
Mushroom Soup (serves 2)
(adapted from The Age – Epicure 50 Best Recipe Cards, recipe by Jill Dupleix)
· 1 tbs butter
· ½ tbs olive oil
· ½ onion, finely diced
· 500g mixed mushrooms, finely sliced
· 1 garlic clove, crushed
· 1 tbs tomato paste
· 500mL chicken or vegetable stock
· 2 tbs thickened cream or sour cream
- Heat oil and butter in a saucepan over medium heat and cook onion for around 10 minutes until soft.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and stock then simmer gently for roughly 20 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Whisk in cream and season to taste. Dollop with extra cream/sour cream to serve, if desired.