The past year has proven to be a busy ride punctuated by fun times, learning experiences and many delicious moments. For example, I learnt from just last night that if you stay up late playing mahjong whilst drinking sake with friends that you will then wake up rather late and start wondering whether you’ll get a blog post done in time… Good friends, laughter and being entertained by such things as a black helicopter with “turbo boost”, however, are always definitely worth it.
Over the course of the year I have also learnt:
- Personal cooking challenges are easily set but not so easily completed on time due to such constraints as starting a new job, planning a wedding and general mischievousness. A kind request for a recipe contribution can always be accommodated though.
- A simple food such as an aubergine can provide much hilarity.
- People preparing food need to pay more attention to food presentation, and perhaps those consuming it need to keep their thoughts entirely innocent.
- I do not shy away from invitations to sing in public – even when the audience is a crowd of food-bloggers whom I’ve largely not met and who are dressed up in not their usual attire.
- Food-bloggers are exceptionally talented people who are capable of making you not only drool over their photography and food descriptions, but also their creations. Quite literally.
- The dismembering of some animals can be an enjoyment to watch.
- There are lucky ones in this world who can pull off wearing short skirts. Repeatedly.
- Celebrating your blog’s birthday, your husband’s, or your own are all valid excuses to indulge in a special meal.
- Breaking your own sugar (hits) consumption record is something to be proud of!
- Good friends will bring you quirky gifts from their travels. Even better when they are food or food-related.
Hopefully you’ve been rewarded by your experiences this past year and have many things to be thankful for. I am thankful for lovely people who take time during their day to read my ramblings here and often leave kind words. I am also most thankful for good friends who act as my surrogate family and who come to my aid when I most need them. These are the people for whom I will continue to express my gratitude through food.
happy new year & (more) happy eating!