I had to keep this week’s recipe card a secret from Monsieur Poisson. He is a great lover of seafood and especially shellfish, so I didn’t want him getting too excited at the prospect of lobster. The truth is this recipe could have easily been made with bug, scampi or prawn meat as substitutes and it would have worked just as well I think. The lobster mayonnaise mix reminded me of a retro prawn cocktail actually, and it would probably make quite a nice party starter served in glass tumblers on a shallow bed of lettuce leaves. The mayonnaise was very refreshing with the slight bite of mustard and refreshing lemon, while the celery added crunch but only a hint of raw celery taste which can at times be quite harsh.
I used a bought pre-cooked lobster but obviously the flavours would be better using fresh seafood cooked yourself. Removing the meat can be a bit fiddly in any case and you really do need all the time that the bacon and tomatoes are cooking in the oven to do this. However you are rewarded with a bread roll filled with sweet seafood in a creamy dressing paired with the saltiness of bacon and sweet and mellow roasted cherry tomatoes – surf ‘n turf of a different kind.
Lobster Rolls with Chive Mayonnaise (serves 2)
(adapted from The Age – Epicure 50 Best Recipe Cards, recipe by Jill Dupleix)
· 2 rashers streaky bacon
· 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
· 1 small cooked lobster
· 1½ tbs mayonnaise
· 1 tsp Dijon mustard
· ½ tsp finely grated lemon zest
· ½ tsp lemon juice
· 1 celery stalk, finely sliced
· ½ tbs finely chopped chives
· 1 baguette (or any sort of crusty roll that takes your fancy)
· handful of mixed lettuce leaves
- Preheat oven 180°C. Roast cherry tomatoes and bacon in a lined tray for 20 minutes then remove and set aside.
- In the meantime, pull lobster tail away from head in one piece. Cut in half lengthwise, remove meat and intestinal tract. Roughly chop meat and remove any meat from legs and claws.
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, lemon zest and juice in a bowl. Season and add lobster meat, celery and chives. Mix thoroughly.
- Cut baguette in half then slice lengthwise leaving tops still attached. Press flat and warm slightly in oven. To assemble, lightly butter if desired then spoon lobster mayo on top. Scatter with cherry tomato halves and lettuce leaves before toping with bacon.