The avocado tossed in lime juice is a nice addition and is much quicker to throw together than your traditional guacamole but of course you can still add a splash of Tobasco if you like. I didn’t have any tinned tomatoes at the time so I used a couple of fresh tomatoes chopped up instead, but ended up with a more watery result than desired. My advice would be to stick to the tinned ones to get a nicer consistency.
Chilli con Carne (serves 2-3)
(adapted from The Age – Epicure 50 Best Recipe Cards, recipe by Jill Dupleix)
· 1 tbs cooking oil
· ½ onion, finely chopped
· 1 clove of garlic, crushed
· 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
· 500g beef mince
· 1 tbs Dijon mustard
· 200g tinned chopped tomatoes
· 1 tbs tomato sauce
· 200g can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
· 100mL red wine or beer
· grated cheese, diced avocado tossed with lime juice, corn chips & taco shells to serve
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat and cook onion until soft. Add garlic and chilli and stir until fragrant.
- Add beef, breaking it up in the pan, until cooked through.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Check for seasoning. Serve with corn chips and/or taco shells garnished with cheese, and diced avocado tossed with lime juice if desired.