Win a Cuisinart ice-cream maker from Kitchenware Direct!

Although I can eat ice-cream in any kind of weather, my childhood memories of summer revolve around the trinity of ice-cream, stone fruits and berries. Memories of driving up the coast to a family friend’s orchard outside of Gosford – in one of my family’s successive second-hand cars without air-conditioning, legs and arms sticking to the vinyl seats, which would invariably result in an overheated radiator, us pulling up to the side of the highway and piling out of the car to stretch our legs – and returning with boxes full of peaches and mangoes collected from the base of trees as fruit which was deemed “unfit” for sale. The fruit would last us through the Christmas and New Year’s holidays, eaten hunched over the sink (me elevated by a footstool in order to reach said sink) with juices running down our arms and the corners of our mouths. Strawberries and cherries would appear in our kitchen around the same time, when they were at their cheapest and sweetest and back when these fruits were truly consumed seasonally as they couldn’t be found for sale at any other time of year.


Fresh strawberries with vanilla ice-cream was and still is a particular simple summer favourite of mine, as is real strawberry ice-cream – you know, the kind which tastes like strawberries married with ice-cream rather than the baby pink, candy-tasting variety. Of course there’s the option of making your own, or any other flavour which takes your fancy, when armed with an ice-cream churner of your own like the shiny red one above – because kitchen appliances always work better when in sexy red, no?


Cheesecake ice-cream was my flavour of choice when it came to making my first custard-based ice-cream, using Ms Lawson’s recipe from one of her many cookbooks which I own but which also can be found here, and it really does taste like cheesecake frozen into an ice-creamy texture. Served with crumbled digestive biscuit rubble and a strawberry completes the cheesecake picture, or you could add strawberry (or any fruit) purée and/or biscuit crumbs into the ice-cream mixture during the final stages of churning – the wide pouring spout on Cuisinart’s ice-cream makers make it easy – for serving the ice-cream in cones, waffle baskets or bowls instead. Sandwiched between a couple of digestive biscuits to make ice-cream sandwiches works a treat too – just wrap up and freeze the sandwiches to allow the biscuits to soften for easier eating.


Sorbets, like the lime and Ribena varieties below (shot of vodka optional), are much less laborious and time-efficient when made with the aid of an ice-cream churner. I’ve made many in the past using the freeze-for-a-couple-of-hours-blitz-and-repeat method in either a food-processor or blender and it takes the better part of a day to obtain a smooth sorbet, all the while keeping an eye on the clock like a hawk-eyed mother to a newborn, not to mention the dribbles which are lost through transferring the mixture from container to blitzer and back again... and again...


Right in time for a Christmas gift for a special someone (or yourself!) and the summery days, the kind people at Kitchenware Direct are giving away a Cuisinart ice-cream maker up to the value of $150 from their site to one lucky Spoon, Fork & Chopsticks reader. All you have to do is:

  1. Leave a comment below telling me what flavour of ice-cream/sorbet/frozen dessert best represents your memories of summer, and why. Entries close Friday, 9 December 2011 at 11pm Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time and are open to Australian residents only. The winning entrant will be chosen by Monsieur Poisson (AKA the Husband, AKA the one who doesn’t cook) and will be published here in a future post. Any rude/profane/offensive entries will be deleted and excluded from competition.
2.     AND send an email to mademoiselledelicieuse@gmail.com with the subject line of “Cusinart giveaway” and include your full name as well as a copy of your comment in the body of the email. This is so you can be contacted should you be the chosen winner.

Terms & conditions:
1.     The winner will receive one Cuisinart ice-cream maker of their choice up to the value of $150 from the Kitchenware Direct website. The value difference between $150 and the chosen product will not be refunded.
2.     The item chosen must be in stock.
3.     The winner will be contacted by Kitchenware Direct to arrange delivery details.

Mademoiselle Délicieuse received a Cuisinart 2L Ice Cream, Yoghurt & Sorbet Maker for review courtesy of Kitchenware Direct as part of this post.

good luck!

24 comments:

  1. Sexy! Red definitely makes thing go faster. Love the sound of cheesecake icecream and Ribena sorbet. I need to get back into making icecream again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands down the winner would be 'Golden Gaytime'. I would recreate with a vanilla bean icecream, chewy toffee sauce and honeycomb biscuit crunch topping. *Runs to local servo for late night golden gaytime *

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in NZ and my parents had an ice cream maker that was from the USA and you had to turn the handle and sit on the barrel and around the cylinder of ice cream was ice sprinkled lavishly with salt to help the ice cream freeze - no electricity required! It made the best ice cream and the flavour of summer was definitely strawberry - there was nothing better in NZ than this home made icecream. But now...I would love something a little more modern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any flavour with summer fruits would be my favourite - mango, lychee, white nectarine, or a mixture of them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apricots remind me of summer. When I was little my grandparents had an apricot tree and I used to spend days up in the branches eating as many apricots as I could! The best, juiciest, most delicious apricots I've ever tasted. I've never had apricot ice-cream before though!! If I win the Cuisinart Ice-cream maker that's the first flavour I'll try! Apricot Ice-cream! Now why haven't I thought of this before!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just loved those 70s clear-plastic cups of icecream with double-swirls of raspberry and passionfruit sauce. Or my all-time favourite icecream - the Triple Treat: vanilla icecream sandwiching pink marshmallow, coated in chocolate ... mmm. Now why you can't buy those any longer is a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheesecake ice cream, oh how delicious sounding! With summer here it is time to pull out my ice cream maker, I do love home made ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. summer sorbet is definitely mango! the fruit is ripe, sweet and readily available. nothing beats eating a big bowl of mango sorbet under the aircon on a hot summer's day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red totally rocks in the kitchen! Hmm childhood ice cream flavour? For me, we waited patiently every week as the Home Ice Cream truck drove around the neighbourhood.. I can remember its chime to this day and it still gets me all excited! My dad would buy a box of the mango and vanilla ice cream and god, it would just be the best thing ever. So yes for me, MANGO. But hey now I'm all grown up I just wanna make matcha ice cream with lots and lots of bitter matcha :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ice Cream arrghhhhh and home made ice cream arrgghhh. I have this ice cream maker and I absolutely love it. It is super easy to use and gorgeous to look at. Your cheesecake ice cream looks delicious. This will be the next flavour I will be making.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rum and raisin! Always had a thing for rum and raisin, because it sounded so adult (I now know there was actually no alcohol involved).

    Found your giveaway through Belly Rumbles, how exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. To recreate summer memories my first creation would have to be a watermelon sorbet.

    One of my favourite childhood memories of summer is of sitting out on the swing set after dinner with my brother and sister, each of us with a giant slice of watermelon for dessert. We were banished outside because of the juicy mess and we would spit out the pips onto the lawn hoping that one day a watermelon would sprout up.

    My favourite ice cream memory though is vanilla, with Milo on the top. We would sneak extra Milo into the bottom of the bowl when Mum wasn't looking hoping that she wouldn't notice how much we had in there! I still love Milo on top of my vanilla ice-cream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The ice-cream flavour that best represents my memories of summer would be Sweet Corn and Cheese {Mais Con Queso}... Stay with me here, this flavour may sound appalling but it really is a revelation with both its sweet and savoury notes.
    My most vivid childhood memory is of me impatiently waiting for the bell to ring on the last day of school, so that I can go out and buy my first "dirty ice cream"* of the summer. (*dirty pertains to it being sold by street vendors on pushcarts, the one my momma told me not to buy from). It was always this flavour. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mango, Passionfruit, Lychee and Coconut cream sorbet for a true tropical island sensation, best served while swinging in a hammock under swaying coconut palms, of course, but my backyard will do nicely! A very refreshing sorbet

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spot on on ice-cream flavours - real ice-cream, Real strawberry flavours, not candy pink.....fake tasting stuff. And the photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some form of cherry-flavoured ice-cream or sorbet would be what I'd go for since this time of the year is pretty much the only time they're so readily available.

    Maybe mix it up a little and make a black-forest inspired sundae with choc-cherry ice-cream with whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's not fancy, but nothing says summer to me like a lime splice. When I was little I used to absolutely hate taking swimming lessons, and my parents had to resort to bribing me with the promise of an icecream afterwards. Eating lime splices in the car on the way home was always (almost) worth it!

    It'd be fun to recreate those flavours using fresh ingredients - a lurid green lime & pineapple sorbet perhaps, with a rich vanilla icecream!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Deep fried ice cream (vanilla flavour) served with fruits pretty much says summer for me - I pretty much have it every summer since I was young! The mother unit will try to stop me from eating it as a kid but I will choose to have it no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The only choice for me on a hot sweltering day would be ice kacang! My favorite starts with lightly mashed red beans at the base, a generous mound of ice shavings, and drizzles of evaporated milk, rose syrup and gula melaka.

    Eating ice kacang was something my whole family enjoyed together. The shop we patronized is an old family-run business - the grandfather remembers my dad as a schoolkid, and when we were younger, he'd make ice balls versions (yummy, but oh so messy!) for us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. when I was 12 we moved to Haberfield, at the corner of my street was a shop that made and sold fresh gelato & sorbets...this was way back in the 80's...I come from an Asian background so sweets in our home was never ice cream of any kind...I still remember my first ever gelato, it was pistachio flavoured, I thought the green color was 'cool' & loved the nut flavour, its still my most FAV-ever flavour till this day...food tied up with fond happy childhood memories...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cola flavour iceblocks represent my favourite memory of summer. Where I grew up they sell local iceblocks called Middletons iceblocks which came in all flavours. I have fond memories of the being down at local pool in summer (my home town is notoriously cold, so swimming season lasts about a month!), enjoying a cool cola iceblock. We used to call them 25 cent iceblocks, but they aren't 25c anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is going to sound boring, but i am going to stay true to my love for all things I-SCREAM. for me, it's always coffee / espresso flavoured ice cream. it works for me in summer, winter, u name it! the fruity flavours are also nice, but i prefer eating the fruits and indulding in a nice home churned, creamy espresso-coffee flavoured ice cream! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is one sexy, hot ice cream maker!! I'm not going to enter because I have the same one in silver, but I really like the red one!!

    You have to try making frozen margeritas/cocktails in the ice cream maker! SO. FREAKIN. AWESOME. Perfect for summer too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello All! Thank you for taking the time to enter this competition =) The Husband has chosen a winner who will be announced and notified very soon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails